Summer Arabic & Persian Language Institute at Georgetown University
2011 SUMMER SESSION DATES
1ST SESSION: JUNE 6 - JULY 8
2ND SESSION: JULY 11 - AUGUST 12
The Language Institute offers students the opportunity to acquire or master skills in reading, writing, listening, and speaking in Arabic and Persian. Language instruction is proficiency-oriented and imparts cultural experiences and knowledge. The materials used are broad-based and help students develop skills for communication. Students learn how to accomplish language tasks in formal and informal situations. Assessments reflect the model of an educated native speaker as well as proficiency (American Council for the Teaching of Foreign Language: ACTFL) guidelines.
Classes are small and students benefit from individual attention inside and outside the classroom. Experienced, dedicated, and diverse faculty use current techniques and incorporate technology-based instruction. The summer program provides real-time and on demand access to current media resources and the latest in classroom language learning technology. The Language Institute offers its students a gateway to an exceptional academic community at Georgetown University, a range of summer activities in the Summer School, and state-of-the-art language opportunities.
Arabic: A comprehensive undergraduate program of intensive and non-intensive learning in Modern Standard Arabic will last ten weeks, with courses in Basic, Intermediate and Advanced Arabic.
Colloquial Arabic: Undergraduate course in spoken Levantine Arabic will be offered with continuation in the Second Session. This course is not open to native speakers of Arabic, heritage speakers of Arabic, or students who have completed three years or more of Arabic at Georgetown.
Persian: In cooperation with the Division of Eastern Mediterranean Languages, two Persian courses are offered at the undergraduate level. Intensive First Level Persian and Intensive Second Level Persian will be offered both sessions.
Highlights of the program:
- An intensive ten-week summer program equivalent to one full academic year of study
- Intensive courses award 6 credits and Non-Intensive courses award 3 credit hours
- Weekly conversation hour with free coffee and refreshments
- Weekly Arabic and Persian movie screenings
- Weekly calendar of cultural and other activities in Georgetown and around DC
- Language lab equipped with latest classroom language learning technology
- Partial Tuition Scholarships
- Non-Georgetown students accepted into this Language Institute are eligible to apply for a partial tuition scholarship offered by Georgetown University (Please see http://scs.georgetown.edu/departments/29/summer-school/admissions-and-tuition.cfm).
- For further information and special application forms, please contact the Scholarship Coordinator, Summer School Georgetown University, 3307 M. Street, N.W., Suite #202, Washington, D.C. 20007. Tel: (202) 687-8700.
Institute Director: Dr. Belkacem Baccouche
Assistant Director: Ms. Meriem Tikue
For questions, please contact Ms. Meriem Tikue at email@example.com